We are currently seeking Therapeutic Foster Care Parents. If you are interested in finding out more about how you change the life of an abused and neglected child, call us at 918-585-3083 in Tulsa area or 405-631-4567 in Oklahoma City area.
Shadow Mountain Behavioral Health System’s therapeutic foster care is a joint venture between specially trained families and therapists to create non-institutional treatment for children who have often been victims of neglect and abuse.
Learn about TFC from Foster Parents and Professionals.
This is a brief introduction to Therapeutic Foster Care:
Families provide family living and therapists provide specialized services to children and youth who otherwise would be placed in institutional or residential group settings.
The program is designed to serve children and youth with special psychological, social and emotional needs who can accept and respond to the close relationships within a family setting but whose special needs require more intensive or therapeutic services than are found in traditional foster care.
We are always recruiting foster families. If you would like to make a difference in the lives of some of our state’s most fragile children, please consider becoming a therapeutic foster home. To learn more about fostering, please call us. In Tulsa, call (918) 293-2500, or in Oklahoma City, call (405) 631-4567
Frequently Asked Questions by Interested Foster Parents:
What are the Requirements to be a Therapeutic Foster Parent?
- Must be at least 23 years of age. Must be married, single or divorced. DHS does not certify individuals who are separated, legally and/or otherwise.
- Completion of application, including information on household members.
- Financially stable with a consistent source of income.
- Good background – OSBI, Fingerprint, Child Welfare, OSCN, DOC and MVR checks. All members of the household must have a good background.
- Completion of Preservice Training (41 hours – classes held on Tuesday and Saturday).
- Home study completion and agency approval.
What is the TFC parent responsible for?
Therapeutic foster parents provide:
- A nurturing family environment
- Advocacy on behalf of the child
- Behavior management that encourages responsibility and caring
- Participation in the child’s school and community activities
- Social and living skill redevelopment
- Substance abuse prevention and education
How does the clinical therapist assist the families and help the children?
Our clinical therapists provide the following services to foster families and youth:
- Treatment planning
- Individual and family therapy
- Group rehabilitation
- Crisis intervention
- Discharge and permanency planning
- Supervision of in-home treatment strategies provided by foster parents.
How do I apply to become a Therapeutic Foster Parent?
Please fill out the Therapeutic Foster Care Parent Application and return to:
SMBHS Therapeutic Foster Care
1013 E. 66th Place, Tulsa, OK 74136
You may also fax applications to 918-492-2075.